The Commonwealth’s HomeBuilder Grant was announced on 4 June 2020 and is available in accordance with the First Home and Housing Construction Grants (Miscellaneous) Amendment Act 2020.
The HomeBuilder Grant of $25 000 is available to eligible owner-occupiers (including first home buyers) who build a new home, substantially renovate an existing home, or buy an off the plan/new home, where the contract is signed between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020 inclusive.
Home Builder Grants are not taxable.
The Home Builder Grant is subject to provisions of the National Partnership Agreement between the South Australian Government and the Commonwealth Government.
What is the Home Builder Grant amount?
The Home Builder Grant is $25 000 for building a new home, substantially renovating an existing home, or buying an off the plan/new home. Funding for the Home Builder Grant is provided by the Australian Government with an arrangement for the South Australian Government to administer applications and payments for the Home Builder Grant.
Subject to the eligibility criteria set out below, only one Home Builder Grant is payable for each property, even if the property changes ownership.
All applicants must:
- Be a natural person (not a company or trust);
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of entering the eligible transaction;
- Be an Australian citizen at the time of application (permanent residents are not eligible for the HomeBuilder Grant);
- Not have previously received the HomeBuilder Grant in any other Australian state or territory;
- Meet the following income tests for the full financial year of either 2018-19 or 2019-20:
- individual applicant: taxable income of less than $125 000; or
- couples: combined taxable income of less than $200 000.
- Own the land at the time a contract is entered into to build, buy or substantially renovate your home, or become the owner of the land on completion of the contract to build or buy the home.
Couples must be a legally married couple, a couple in a registered relationship (as defined in the Relationships Register Act 2016 (SA)), or a de facto couple living in a genuine domestic relationship. More information can be found at the website sa.gov.au/bdm or by contacting 131 882.
How do I apply?
Lodge your completed Home Builder Grant application (and all the requested documentary evidence) with RevenueSA. If you have not commenced construction when you apply and you meet all of the other eligibility criteria you may be provided conditional approval and will need to provide evidence that construction has commenced within three (3) months of the signing of the contract in order to receive final approval and payment.
To avoid delays in processing your application, please ensure all the required documents are included at the time you lodge your application.
For first home buyers, information in regard to how to apply for the First Home Owner Grant can be found on our First Home Owner Grant page.
For more information visit Revenue SA website or click on the link bellow.